Ezra Klein in The Washington Post predicts 10 things that could go badly wrong with a US attack on Syria:
- Heavy civilian casualties from a misdirected missile
- Increasing slaughter of civilians as Assad increases intimidation to stay in power
- Assad doubles down using chemical weapons again to intimidate Syrians and to show defiance against the U.S.A
- The attack is so slight that it allows Assad to emerge virtually unscathed
- A bombing campaign will firmly involve us in Syria. It will make it much harder for us to say that what happens in Syria is not our problem.
- Reprisal against US civilians by forces sympathetic to Assad
- Assad falls and chemical weapons end up in the wrong hands.
- Assad falls and chaos follows
- Assad falls as is followed by something worse, like an Al-Qaida affiliate More [BJS]